Friday, April 18, 2014

Hey! You're Not Supposed to be Drinking That!

Exactly how one interprets the Word of Wisdom when it comes to what one drinks is an interesting topic of conversation.  I'm amused that when non-members learn that I've recently joined the LDS church, they often tell me what I can and can't drink.  I'm surprised by how prevalent the belief is that "Mormons can't have any caffeine."  Non-members have observed me drinking Coke Zero at my workplace and have helpfully volunteered the information that Mormons aren't supposed to do this. 

Members of the church know exactly what to do in this situation.  That's right:  Share the gospel!  Or at least explain a little bit about the Word of Wisdom and the intent behind it.  The fact that it's not all black-and-white, and that there is space for individual judgment -- in other words, there is a "spirit" behind the "letter" of the law -- is a good thing for people to know.

Of course, there are varying cultural norms within Mormondom, and I'm very aware that Utah, being an entirely different planet, has an entirely different way of looking at certain things than those of us out here in the "mission field."  Thus, the joke, "What's the difference between a good Mormon and a bad Mormon?  The temperature of their caffeine!" 

 I love the description of the Word of Wisdom as given "not by commandment or constraint", but as "a principle with promise."  The promise is that as we obey the commandments of God, we will enjoy improved health, both spiritually and physically.  We will become whole. 

The best advice I've received about how to approach the caffeine conundrum is the simple "take it or leave it" test.  Is it really a big deal for me if I don't drink a can of Coke today?  Will it disturb my spiritual equilibrium if I do drink a can of Coke today?  If I can answer "yes" to either of those questions, then I need to re-evaluate how I'm interpreting the Word of Wisdom.  Maybe I should add Coke to the no-no list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment